Personal Computer Purchase Recommendations
This KB Document can be used to guide students, along with staff and faculty, with purchasing decisions for personal computers compatible with FVTC's systems.
The Information Technology Services department, along with our FVTC Help Desk, would like to offer the following information to help inform any personal purchasing decisions for technology used to access Fox Valley Technical College systems.
First, please contact your instructor or department to identify whether your degree program has any distinct technology requirements. This specific information will be communicated to pertinent students during the admissions process.
To support the FVTC mission of providing high-quality education and training, FVTC provides access to onsite computers in our campus facilities and regional centers. While not required, having home access to technology may prove valuable for students to better facilitate learning. We therefore recommend having a home computer that meets or exceeds the specifications consistent with those resources that FVTC offers onsite, as follows:
(Current in most FVTC Labs)
- PC running Windows 10 version 20H2 (Windows 10 October 2020 Update) or later
- Quad-core Intel i5 CPU
- 16GB of RAM (Memory) (minimum 8GB)
- 256GB of Solid State Storage
- 1920x1080 resolution display
- 1280x720 resolution webcam
- Headset with microphone/headphones -and/or- integrated microphone and speakers
To participate in videoconferencing or webinar technologies such as Virtual Classroom (VC) courses, online tutoring, virtual advising, etc., FVTC highly recommends a high-speed broadband internet service with 10 Mbps Download / 2 Mbps Upload bandwidth or greater.
While a computer with the above specifications is recommended, FVTC acknowledges that not all students may have access to these resources at home. FVTC therefore also provides cloud-based virtual computers using our Citrix environment, allowing students to remotely access FVTC computers that meet our recommended specifications and contain all necessary software. This functionality can be achieved by computers meeting the following minimum specifications:
Minimum Requirements for Citrix:
- PC running Windows 8.1 or later
- Minimum 1GB RAM
- Minimum 572MB free disk space
- Apple computer running macOS Catalina (10.15) or later
- Minimum 257.7MB free disk space
- Chromebook running Google Chrome operating system (version 50 or later)