Establishing a Remote Desktop Connection (RDC)
This KB Article provides the steps for establishing a Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) to a FVTC computer.
PLEASE NOTE! If working offsite, VPN MUST be connected for this to work.
If you need assistance with that, please go here: Connecting to FVTC's Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- Click the Windows Start Menu button and type 'remote'. Launch the Remote Desktop Connection Desktop App search result.
- Enter the Computer Name of the computer to which you want to connect, and click Connect.
(NOTE: Your computer on campus MUST be powered on to Connect to it)
- Enter your FVTC User name and Password when prompted, and click OK.
NOTE:You can find the Computer Name of your desired computer using one of the following methods:
1. Look at the informational graphic overlay in the lower-right of your desktop background. The Computer Name is the first piece of information identified.
2. Locate the FOX VALLEY TECH COLLEGE asset tag and barcode sticker on the computer case. Append the letter "T" to the beginning of this six-digit number for staff desktop computers (T123456), or the letter "M" to the beginning of this six-digit number for staff laptop/mobile computers (M123456).
3. Click the Windows Start Menu button and type 'command'. Launch the Command Prompt Desktop App. Type 'hostname' and hit Enter, and the responding line will provide your Computer Name.
4. Contact the Helpdesk if you need further assistance identifying the Computer Name of a particular computer.